If you are someone who likes to have their conversation locked and private, then you are in for a treat with the new Whatsapp Chat Lock feature.
Meta recently announced and launched this feature while saying, “This feature will be the best option for people who have to share their phones with others. Plus, it will come in handy in moments when your phone is in someone’s hand, and an extra-special chat notification pops up on your phone screen.”
Therefore, your favorite messenger is set to help you hide your chats from unwanted prying eyes with the help of end-to-end encryption and the Whatsapp chat lock.
So, without any further ado, let’s understand more about this brand-new feature.
What Is WhatsApp Chat Lock?
WhatsApp chat lock is a feature introduced by WhatsApp to help you keep your chats private and secure. This feature is a folder that will be separated from your regular chats.
The chats in the Locked Chats folder will be password protected. Plus, you will require to open the folder with your phone passcode, fingerprint, or Face ID.
This feature will be available for both Android and iOS.
Also, you can refer to the Video titled Introducing Chat Lock On Whatsapp posted by Whatsapp on YouTube for more clear understanding.
How to Turn On Chat Lock on WhatsApp (2023)
To turn on the chat lock on WhatsApp, you will need to have your device password protected with a passcode, Fingerprint, or Face ID.
To turn the chat lock ON on your phone, follow the following steps:
#1: Tap on Chat Info.
#2: Select the Chat Lock Option.
#3: Tap on the option, Lock this chat with your fingerprint.
#4: Confirm the fingerprint.
#5: Tap on the View option to open your chat in the Locked Chats section on top of your chat list.
How to Turn Off The Chat Lock on WhatsApp
Just like turning the chat lock feature on, you can easily turn off the feature when you are not in need of it by following the steps shown below:
#1: Tap on Chat Info.
#2: Tap on Off.
#3: Confirm the fingerprint.
Key Factors Related to the Whatsapp Chat Lock Feature
The following are the key factors that will be in effect once the Whatsapp Chat Lock feature is released:
- The content of the notice and the contact are obscured when chats are locked. It will appear as WhatsApp: 1 new message in the notification.
- You must disable the chat lock in order to store media in your phone’s gallery and keep it private.
- You can lock both muted and group chats.
- Nothing will lock calls. A call from a chat contact or group that has been locked will still show up as a regular chat notification.
- When you enable chat lock from your phone, the chats only on that phone will be locked.
- The chats on any additional devices you have connected to WhatsApp, like a desktop computer, won’t be locked.
- After restoring to a new phone, your closed chats will remain locked if you utilize WhatsApp’s backup and restore option.
- Whatsapp will not show or notify the person you are chatting with that you’ve locked their chat.
- Archived chats can only be locked if you unarchive them.
Limitations of the Whatsapp Chat lock
Even though chat lock is a great feature, it has some limitations that you might want to take into consideration.
- The features cannot be used on other devices with the same Whatsapp account.
- You will compulsorily have to use your phone’s password to open the locked chats. This will be a big risk if someone other than you has access to your phone’s password.
- You won’t be able to hide calls from the locked chats as it shows a notification the same as other regular chat calls.
- You miss out on an important message when someone is using your phone, and you decide to check it later.
These were the limitations that Whatsapp Chat Lock brings with its benefits. However, let’s hope that Whatsapp will fix these lacking factors and deliver the best-locked chat feature we come across.
Related Reads :
Meta launching the Whatsapp Chat Lock feature is great news for people who like to keep their chats more private.
Additionally, even though Whatsapp offers end-to-end encryption to keep your message secure, anyone can open your chats if your phone is left unlocked.
Hence, it is a good advantage to have extra protection if you give your unlocked phone to someone and don’t want them to see your extra-private chats accidentally.
When you lock your chats on WhatsApp, it saves your conversation from being seen by the prying eyes of your family, friends, or strangers. These locked chats are saved in a hidden section away from your regular chats.
Unfortunately, you cannot hide or lock a single text message from a conversation on WhatsApp as you will be only allowed to lock the whole conversation thread (chat) in the upcoming feature called ‘Chat Lock.’
Whatsapp secures your messages with end-to-end encryption and stores your messages on your device. Hence, anyone accessing your Whatsapp account cannot see your past chats.
The Whatsapp Chat Lock feature has been introduced recently in the latest software update by Whatsapp Inc.
Unfortunately, it will take some time for Whatsapp to allow you to use a different passcode instead of your device’s passcode to lock your chats.